Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Bazzo Says: Bazzo At 60

Bazzo Says:
BY ANTHONY J. BAZZO

OF YORKTOWN NEWS & MAHOPAC NEWS


On Thursday, June 18, I will turn 60. Considering I was born at a very early age and the life I have led, this is an achievement. I will be having a party in the near future, and when I called my aunt and uncle (both in their 80s) to invite them, my aunt asked me how I felt. I thought about that for a minute and then told her that when I turned 50, I really did not feel it. Don't get me wrong, I did learn that anyone who said they could do at 50 what they did at 25 had to be pitiful at 25. Yet turning 60, I feel this one. I know I have lost a step or two.

As a youth, I did not realize how lucky I was to be growing up in the time period I did. In school we had regular drills where we hid under our desks with our heads down in case of nuclear attack. How was that going to protect us? Who knows, but we did what we were told. 

We were told that by the year 2000, we would be facing serious food shortages. We were told to clean every last spec off of our plates because children were starving in Europe. How would eating our peas feed people in Europe? Who knows, but we did what we were told. Yet for all we ate, there was no such thing as an obesity crisis because back then, the last place we were after school was home. We were told to come home by dark, in time for dinner, then it was homework and to bed. No one had time to get fat because we were out playing, not sitting in front of our computers (which were only things you saw in Outer Limits episodes).

Parents (and teachers with the consent of parents) were allowed to use corporal punishment. Oh, the horror! Those in a position of authority were allowed to discipline us. Today, kids run wild and speak with disrespect to authority because they have no fear of actual discipline. Government has invited itself into our homes and lives to tell parents what types of discipline are allowable. See where that's got us? Police knew that a misbehaving kid, doing what kids would do as learning experiences, would face a tougher justice at home than any court could impose. 

We were told that by the year 2000 we would be out of fossil fuels. Who knew that this would almost become a reality but only because of the stupid among us who would not allow us to extract from the ground the fossil fuel that lay underneath?

Speaking of the year 2000, this just popped into my head, and it is another example of making wild predictions based on lunacy. It was none other than the man himself, Albert Gore, who told us on Jan. 27, 2006, that we had just 10 years left to save the planet from global warming. Well, unless we start cooking on Jan. 27 2016, some 255 days from the date this column was penned, Big Al will be so very wrong. Think he will ask for a recount?

All those decades ago we even created the Department of Energy for the purpose of easing our nation away from fossil fuel imports. At the time, just 20 percent was imported. By 2000, that number had risen to 60 percent. Yay government agencies! We were and still are at the mercy of unstable governments in the Middle East, though not as much as we once were, thanks to the recent discovery of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking. 

When I was a kid, we were taught to fear the future because back then (as today) the powers-that-be failed to see that the only way to predict the future is assume that everything stays the same. What I came to learn is that life is fluid and nothing stays the same. That is precisely why we are not starving or out of fossil fuel. Actually, it was TV shows such as “Star Trek” that against the norm, taught us to embrace the future. 

I was one of the lucky ones who had teachers, mentors and friends who taught me to believe the glass was always half full, not half empty. You could always go to the well, or dig another and find water to refill the glass. 

In school, not only were we taught to find the correct answer to a question, we were required to show how we got there. Critical thinking was part of the curriculum. It was not just learning but it was creating the desire to want to learn more. 

Sure, I have noticeably slowed down physically, but mentally, through life's experiences and the school-taught ability to think beyond the premise, I am sharper today than I was when I was 50. 

I rarely look back and live in the past. Instead, I use my experiences in the past as points of reference and perspective, for I know that history did not start when I was born. I do, however, look with anticipation to the future and what new discoveries are ahead of us. 

I have come to the conclusion that the sky is falling crowd, those who always see the glass half empty, are missing a necessary ingredient to the belief that there is always hope for a better tomorrow. That ingredient is a belief that there is something greater than oneself and that there is a God, but a God who is not relegated to a particular religion, as I have found organized religions to be another form of government.  

As the founding father's articulated in the preamble to the Declaration of Independence, we are endowed by our Creator from birth—regardless of how one defines Creator—with the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That happiness is something you must achieve on your own. At 60, I am happy.

This is what I say. What say you?

VOLPE/BAZZO REPORT:

Guest Yorktown Supervisor Michael Grace Discusses The Issues Wednesday 9:30 p.m. Channel 74 June  17 & 24 (Yorktown)


Guest Peekskill Councilman Darren Rigger Discusses The Issues Wednesday 9:PM June 17 & 24 channel 15 (Peekskill)


***************************************************
***************************************************

Yorktown News Website (http://www.youryorktown.com/)
Mahopac News Website (http://www.yourmahopac.com/mahopac)
***************************************************
***************************************************

FOLLOW ME AT:
LINKIN (ANTHONY BAZZO):http://www.linkedin.com
www.linkedin.com/pub/anthony-bazzo/19/352/684/
TWITTER (@BAZZOMANIFESTO): http://twitter.com/
FACEBOOK (THOMAS NEWMAN): http://www.facebook.com/

******************************************************************
******************************************************************
CONTACT ME @:

atom_taxi@yahoo.com (it is atom (underscore) taxi)

For immediate reply:  atomtaxi@aol.com
 
*****************************************************************************
THE COMPLETE LIST FROM THE BAZZO GRILL'S SERIES

http://ltpbazzo.wordpress.com/2010/09/25/the-comlete-list-of-all-bazzo-grills-interviews-five-questions-with-unedited/
******************************************************************************
******************************************************************************
2007-2012 “In My Opinion” Columns On NCNLocal.com
http://bazzman.blogspot.com/2012/04/2007-present-in-my-opinion-columns-on.html
*****************************************************************************

THE LIFE OF BAZZO: A YORKTOWN NEWS PROFILE
http://bazzman.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-life-of-bazzo-yorktown-news-profile.html
****************************************************************************
BAZZO AT WORK HOME PAGE







 

No comments: