http://johngtesta.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/bol_2014_7.jpgAs I start my third term on the Westchester County Board of Legislators I am beginning a new role: my colleagues have elected me the Minority Leader for the GOP Caucus. It is a position I take very seriously and one I look forward to working hard at. Joining me on the leadership team as Whip is Legislator Gordon Burrows of Yonkers. Gordon has been the GOP Caucus Whip for the last four years and I look forward to working closely with him over the next two years.
The position of Minority Leader carries many responsibilities.  In addition to the role as floor leader for the caucus during Board of Legislator meetings the minority leader represents the caucus in leadership meetings with the administration, public events and speaks for the caucus positions on issues.
My previous experience in government has prepared me well for this new position. Having http://johngtesta.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/bol_2014_3.jpgbeen a county legislator for the past four years has given me the experience on the issues going forward but the three terms spent as the Mayor of Peekskill gives me the executive and administrative experience that will prove important. I also retired from my teaching position last June after a 33-year career. Having the time to devote to the Minority Leader position is essential to success.
I have the advantage of having the outgoing Minority Leader, Jim Maisano, continue on
http://johngtesta.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/bol_2014_6.jpg
With newly elected BOL Chairman Michael Kaplowitz (Right) and Vice Chairman Jim Maisano (Left).
the board in his new position as Vice Chairman. Also, my predecessor as District 1 Legislator, George Oros, now serves as the Chief of Staff to the County Executive. So I have two of the best sources of advise and support I could ever ask for right at my fingertips.
As the term progresses I look forward to what the future holds as my tenure as Minority Leader unfolds. I am lucky to have six outstanding colleagues to work with in the GOP caucus but I also look forward to working will all legislators to focus on the needs of the people of Westchester County.
http://johngtesta.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/bol_2014_caucus.jpg
The Full GOP Caucus (L-R): Gordon Burrows (Whip), Sheila Marcotte, Bernice Spreckman, James Maisano, John Testa (Minority Leader), Michael Smith, David Gelfarb.